Vegetable Spotlight: 14-07-2011
- The value of French and runner bean production fell by 2.7% to $72.7 million in 2008-09.
- Beans were Australia’s 10th largest vegetable crop in 2008-09, accounting for 2.4% of total vegetable production by value.
- Area planted and production rose in 2009, but yields declined.
- Production is concentrated in Queensland and Tasmania, which produce over four-fifths of the national bean crop.
- Based on production estimates consumption of beans has fallen modestly in recent years.
- Prices on both domestic and export markets declined in 2009.
- The total number of growers declined from 366 in 2008 to 337 in 2009 with major variations in the size of operations between the States.
- Exports have risen strongly over the past two years, while imports fell in 2009-10. Australia still has a negative balance of trade, but the deficit in 2009-10 was the smallest since 2000-01.
- Vegetable Spotlight - Beans