Vegetable Spotlight : 24-01-2011
• The value of lettuce production rose by 11.3% to $187 million in 2008/09.
• Lettuce was Australia’s 6th largest vegetable crop in 2008/09, accounting for 6.2% of total vegetable production by value.
• Production and yields fell slightly in 2009, but there was a small rise in the area planted.
• Production is concentrated in the Eastern states, particularly Victoria and Queensland.
• Based on production estimates consumption of lettuces has risen in recent years.
• Prices on both domestic and export markets were strong in 2009.
• The total number of growers rose from 557 in 2008 to 566 in 2009 but there is a significant variation in the size of operations between the States.
• Exports have risen over the past three years and Australia runs a positive balance of trade in lettuce as imports are negligible.